Antony's proposed move from Real Betis to Manchester United is still shrouded in mystery after the LaLiga club said they had withdrawn their offer for the winger, despite United sources telling ESPN that the bid had been accepted.
The two clubs had negotiated a permanent deal worth up to £25 million ($34m) but there was a fresh twist to the saga on Friday when Betis released a statement.
"There is no agreement for Antony and we have withdrawn the offer," it read. "We can't afford the fee and the amounts that Manchester United must instead pay the player before the transfer."
However, United sources are insistent that the offer had been accepted. Sources told ESPN that the Premier League side think the move has in fact broken down because of Antony's wages.
Antony had been given permission to discuss personal terms with Betis, where he spent a successful loan spell last season.
If the deal does eventually get the final green light, it will bring to an end Antony's torrid three-year spell at Old Trafford.
He arrived from Ajax under former boss Erik ten Hag in 2022, but struggled to make a significant impact. His transfer fee of £86 million ($116m) makes him the second most expensive signing in United's history behind Paul Pogba.
Antony impressed on loan at Betis last season, scoring nine goals in 26 games, following his move in January.
On his return to United this summer, he was omitted from the squad for the preseason tour of the U.S. and ordered to train away from the senior squad with other players surplus to requirements, including Alejandro Garnacho and Jadon Sancho.
Newer articles
Older articles